about this Blog

After I (more or less) finished my 1966 Volkswagen Fastback the "Volksback", it was time for another challenge, here it is!

Montag, 28. September 2015

decklid latches installed

Step by step the list of things to be done gets shorter! Yesterday I managed to install the hood latches:
Here is a rear view of the Streaker, fenders and engine cover with license plate light are painted. The exhaust is crooked - I know... Rear lights installed and working as well...

This is how I installed the hood latches

and a detail shot, the latches are fixed with M3 stainless steel screws

Freitag, 25. September 2015

Let there be light!

Every real Baja Bug needs at least 1 set of accessory lights. So today I started to install them, but how and where?

The front bumper has no brackets to install lights...

 So, I used some 60mm x 60mm square tubing with 3mm wall thickness and cut some nice brackets:

.. and welded them onto the bumper, the weld penetration looks pretty good. 

Then I mounted the lights:

from another angle:

Then the electrical installation was done - and we have a result:
dipped beam and position lights:

dipped beam + full H3 candela power:
 That looks bad ass to me!

final mock up

Before I finally paint the front of the streaker I assembled everything and even connected all electrics to make sure everythings will work:
... and the final parts for connecting the accessory lights:

Freitag, 11. September 2015

a long overdue update

Oh, boy, I didn't update this one way too long - sorry!
In the mean time I did a few things to the Streaker, here is just some minor stuff:
The previous owner installed a lot of HiFi stuff in the beetle, so it was like swiss cheese in some areas to wire all the stuff together. He removed the door switches and routed some cables through those holes in the A-pillars - in the doors he simple drilled holes:
The problem is: After I re-installed the switches, they didn't work - the pin disappeard in the hole!
So, the dome light was always on - not good for the battery!
I took some highly polished stainless steel bits I found in the trash and used some 3M adhesive tape to fix those plates over the holes:
Another little job done!

I also painted the "tail" of the Streaker already and I am preparing the front bits currently. The front hood was a nightmare, but I think somehow I will manage to make it work...
More updates soon - I promise!