about this Blog

After I (more or less) finished my 1966 Volkswagen Fastback the "Volksback", it was time for another challenge, here it is!

Samstag, 31. Oktober 2015

Freitag, 30. Oktober 2015

Preparation for the TÜV-check - the next attempt...

On Monday I will try to get the TÜV approval. There are some niggles to sort out, which I found during some test drives:
I adjusted the carburetor and now the engines runs good, the spark plugs show a good fuel/air mixture.
The Bilstein shocks are too stiff, they will replaced, The steering box and shift linkage need some adjustment, the lights are adjusted already and some other stuff...
Today the package with the new shocks arrived:

The weekend will see some garage action and Monday I will start my first attempt - Wish me luck!

Samstag, 10. Oktober 2015

Problem found - and almost solved

As the TÜV check wasn't possible on Friday - I was really p!ssed off by the fact that I couldn't make it - I spent my Friday with the family, not thinking a single moment about the Streaker.
Today, I thought about the possible failures and it was obvious the motor was running way to rich. On idle it died after a few seconds and only in higher rev's (from about 2.500) it ran, but sputtered.
So, there wasn't enough air in the air /fuel mixture and the carburator had to be adjusted. A Solex PICT3 has 2 screws to adjust the idle: The air bypass regulating screw and the idle air mixture regulating screw. After some tweaking it is now at least running - maybe it won't pass a smog test, but it runs! Unfortunately I don't have a set of number plates to street-test it, but maybe in the next week I may be lucky and somebody can borrow his plates...

I think it might be a good idea to let a pro check and adjust the carb. Then another TÜV attempt will be scheduled...

Donnerstag, 8. Oktober 2015

When the sh!t hits the fan...

I spent all day to tidy everyting up for the TÜV - which was planned for tomorrow, but the engine doesn't run good, it sputters and has no idle...
I had to drive like this to the wheel alignment service, but this is definately not good!
I exchanged everything from carburator, ignition coil, distributor, fuel pump, checked the filters and everything else, but no luck!

The spark plugs were matte black, a clear sign for to rich fuel mixture, but I don't think this is the only cause.

So, I have to step back think about what could be cause, fix it and try again...

Dienstag, 6. Oktober 2015

Not only for sunshine!

Unlike my Fastback, the Streaker should be useable all year round, so a working heater and blower system is required. Today I had to learn that all vents for the dahboard are different between the "naked" steel dashboard and the padded dash, so another trip to Hoffmann Speedster in Viersen was necessary:

another + 100 Euro for some chicken shit!

In order to install the vents correct, I had to remove the windshield:
(which I had to do anyway...) + the windshield wiper mechanism + the blower ...

... but it was worth the work, now all of the smaller cardboard pipework is installed and the water drain for the blower motor as well!

Tomorrow the windscreen will go back onto the Streaker...

Oh, I also installed a control light for the accessory lights:
 It is missing the symbol, but this will be done tomorrow as well!

Montag, 5. Oktober 2015

It is in the details...

The interior has been cleaned and equipped with new carpet, but one area really bugged me:
The dirty air vents in the freshly cleaned, spotless headliner!

Luckily these parts are available, so now it looks like this:
Even though they are repops, the look and fitment are excellent! This doesn't happen too often, reproduced parts which I like...

Sonntag, 4. Oktober 2015

Almost done!

After way too long time, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I spent the last evenings in the garage prepping and painting the body parts :


 The first time "on the road" in final paint scheme!

 the semi gloss black hood fits to the black bumpers, the rear view mirrors and the accessory lights



after a quick clean. The front hood is now equipped with 2 locks, so nobody can open it without the key.

I am sure I need to modify the exhaust tip for a TÜV approval!
The body color is still not my favorite, but I have some ideas for the future...


I can't wait to get this thing back on the streets, hopefully it won't take too long...